The right actions on a daily basis:
Without realizing it, we put a strain on the pipes every day: dirty dishes and grease in the sink, hair in the shower, etc. To protect yourself from unpleasant surprises:
- Use a strainer in the sink. It retains large food waste and prevents it from accumulating in the pipes.
- Do not pour greasy products in the sink. These harden on contact with cold water and therefore promote plugging.
- Haro on the hair in the siphon of the shower, the sink or the bathtub! Remember to remove them during your weekly cleaning because they contribute to clogging the pipes.
- Use lime removers for your washing machine and dishwasher.
- If the water is flowing slower than usual, run boiling water for a few minutes. This will help dilute and dissolve the fats and soaps in the drains.
Maintain the pipes Regularly:
Shampoos, soaps or shower gels contribute to clogging the pipes. You must therefore use specific products to unclog your piping.
- Always keep a suction cup nearby: effective for decluttering without chemicals
- Grandma’s remedies can work wonders: a mixture of white vinegar and baking soda is very effective against clogged pipes.
- Opt for dedicated products such as un blockers that help to absorb an accumulation in the pipes as a last resort.
- They can be aggressive on your pipe.
Monitor the quality of the water:
Very hard water damages the pipes. Find out about the different anti-limescale treatments:
- The water softener has a principle of chemical action which changes the composition of the water to soften it and thus protects the pipes.
- Magnetic, electromagnetic or electronic scale filters consist of the installation of magnets at the water inlet.
- They prevent lime scale encrustation without changing the composition of the water.
- CO2 injection is a mechanical system that is installed on the cold water inlet pipe.
- Check your facilities
Maintaining your plumbing well also means staying vigilant about the installations that depend on it:
An annual maintenance of the boiler or water heater should make sure that everything is working properly. If the equipment operates on gas, make sure that no poisonous gas escapes. You can also invest in a carbon monoxide detector. If the boiler or water heater has a pressure system, check it regularly.
Watch the dates written on the flexible hoses connecting your equipment (dishwasher, washing machine).
Bleed your heating devices (especially radiators) once a year. For Commercial Plumbing Consult here
Beware of frost, the worst enemy of your pipes! If some pipes run outside, monitor them regularly when the temperatures are very cold. Heat insulation is an ideal solution to insulate your pipes from the cold and prevent them from freezing.
Prevention remains the best weapon against plumbing problems. However, if you encounter a problem, don’t improvise yourself as a plumber: call in a professional.